Surry County
Mount Airy
KMWK
o: (336) 401-8201 f: (336) 401-8216 airport: (336) 789-5153

History

Archived News

The Mount Airy/Surry County Airport Authority was created in March of 1963 by Surry County and the City of Mount Airy for the purposes of constructing and operating the Airport. The Airport Authority is administered by Surry County as a blended component unit. The Authority Board has seven members; five are appointed by Surry County and two are appointed by the City of Mount Airy. Day-to-day management at the Airport is conducted by Surry County and aircraft services are provided by the Fixed Base Operator (FBO), Ra-Tech Aviation.

The below newspaper clippings detail aviation history in Surry County, including Taylor's Airport, which was located on Fancy Gap Road, and the original Mount Airy Airport, which was located near the old Franklin school in the Stewart's Creek area. The current airport is located off U.S. 52 and is also highlighted in the newspaper clippings and pictures. The images were provided by the 
Mount Airy Museum of Regional History and the Woltz family.

Stunt FlyingMAT 6-28-1946
MAT 11-13-1936
MAT 10-13-1939MAT 9-13-1946MAT 9-7-1945MAT 9-21-1945MAT 7-7-20-1945IMG_4395 (002) 
MAT 12-22-1933MAT 10-4-1940MAT 10-26-1945MAT4-5-6-7-1946

IMG_4396 (002)GrabbagStoryIMG_4397 (002)IMG_4398 (002)
IMG_4399 (002)IMG_4400 (002)MAT 1-19-26-1934MAT 2-16-7-13-1934